Windsor is the fourth largest town in Sonoma County, with a population of around 27,000. Found right in the heart of California’s wine country, Windsor boasts stunning natural beauty and a convenient location just 63 miles to the north of San Francisco.
Windsor was incorporated only in 1992 but has a long history that dates to the 1850s with the coming of the first European settlers in the area. Hiram Lewis, the community’s first postmaster, named the town Windsor because it reminded him of the countryside around his native England’s Windsor Castle.
Today, Windsor’s lush vineyards and oak-covered hills and valleys give the town a distinctly country feel and small-town charm that go to a high quality of life. The town has received numerous awards and accolades, particularly for greening and environmental protection, land use, safety, and work conditions.
Real estate in Windsor
Single-family homes make up a large majority of the housing stock in Windsor, and they come in a wide range of prices and sizes. You’ll find million-dollar estates with private lakes and acreages, as well as luxurious homes in prestigious gated neighborhoods. There are plenty of opportunities for a vineyard or ranch.
Those looking for starter homes or a smaller property for a growing family will also find great options in areas near schools and the downtown area. Mobile and manufactured homes provide more affordable options.
Most homes in Windsor were built only from the 1980s to the 2000s, so you can expect updated and well-maintained features. There are also a few age-restricted communities that provide a great quality of life for seniors and retirees.
Schools in Windsor
The town is served by Windsor Unified School District, which includes the highly-rated Windsor Middle School, recognized as a California Distinguished School.
Windsor also enjoys close proximity to several higher learning institutions, including:
- Empire College
- Santa Rosa Junior College
- Sonoma State University
- University of San Francisco – North Bay Regional Campus
Employment in Windsor
Windsor has a good mix of white-collar and blue-collar workers, with many residents engaged in management, sales, and administrative jobs. Educational services, health care, and social assistance are the town’s top employers, followed by manufacturing and retail trade. Agriculture makes up about 3% of the economy.
Lifestyle in Windsor
- As a traditionally wine-growing area, Windsor has a host of wineriesthat offer wine-tastings and tours of their facilities. The town has a fast-growing brewery scene as well, featuring unique micro- and large-scale breweries and tap rooms.
- Windsor is well known for two annual festivals:
- The Sonoma County Hot Air Balloon Classics is a huge two-day event featuring hot air balloon rides, as well as food and craft booths.
- Wings Over Wine Country Air Show showcases parachuting and flying performances, as well as aircraft exhibits, food and wine booths, and more.
- Old Town Windsor is the charming town square, with unique specialty shops, cafés, hotels, and restaurants housed in vintage buildings. It’s home to the Town Green, the community hub that regularly hosts various events, such as concerts, movies, and a farmers market.
- You’ll find plenty of outdoor activities in Windsor, including hiking, paddle-boarding, and biking. The Windsor Golf Club is a haven for local golfers of all skill levels.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.